What is Thunderstorm Phobia?
Thunderstorm Phobia is a persistent fear of storms and lighting. This conditions cause cats to have a lot of anxiety and stress. Thunderstorm Phobia is very common with cats. For proper treatment, your vet should have knowledge of Pathophysiology.
This phobia also includes the sound of rain, wind, and barometric pressures. This fear may cause one or more of the following symptoms.
- staying very close to owner
- Excessive meowing
- Self inflicted trauma
- Fecal incontinence
- Excessive salivation
It may also affect your dog’s body in different ways.
- Increased cortisol level, stressed induced
- Skin problems from excessive licking
The cause of Thunderstorm Phobia is unknown, however it may consist of the following factors.
- Lack of exposure to storms as a kitten.
- Genetic predisposition for emotional reactivity.
- Pet parent unintentionally demonstrating fear during storms.
Your vet will run test to identify any conditions or abnormities that is related to the phobia. He or she will also rule out any conditions that may be unrelated such as noise phobia, barrier frustration, or separation anxiety.