Chocolate maybe your best friend but it’s definitely your cat’s worst enemy. It is toxic for kitties and causes more than a tummy ache when consumed. Chocolate consist of ingredients such as caffeine and theobromine that can cause serious medical conditions.
- Increased body temperature
- Increased reflex response
- Rapid breathing
- Rapid heart rate
- Low blood pressure
- Cardiac failure
Symptoms will depend on how much chocolate have been consumed and type. Milk, semi sweet, and baking chocolate are the most poisonous to pets.
What to do?
If you have witness or suspect your cat eating chocolate, rush over to your vet ASAP! He or she will perform a full physical exam along with a chemical blood profile to test for caffeine and theobromine over dose. An ECG may also be performed to test your cat’s heart rate.
If possible, try to induce vomiting as soon as you’ve noticed your cat have been snacking on your favorite chocolate. This will prevent the chemicals in the chocolate from being fully digested and can control any possible seizures. While waiting on vet try to keep Mr. Kitty cool, calm, and quiet in order to prevent the poisons from escalating. Your cat should stay hydrated while recovering and should be fed a bland diet for several days.
The best prevention is to keep the chocolate away from your cat in a cabinet or jar they can’t open, especially during the holidays.